Deepen your readiness and expertise to observe, analyze and support the continuous growth of teachers.
With CEL’s approach to redesigned teacher evaluation systems, school districts across the nation can gain research-based methods and instruments to:
- Plan and implement a growth-oriented teacher evaluation system focused on high-quality learning.
- Develop a common language and shared vision for improving teaching and learning using an instructional framework.
- Analyze and calibrate evaluation ratings across classrooms, schools and districts using an evaluation rubric.
- Increase the expertise of school leaders to guide and support the professional growth of teachers.
CEL’s nationally recognized faculty, staff, and consultants have expertise that supports schools, districts and states in strengthening instructional leadership to improve student learning. We believe that evaluation goes hand in hand with deepening the expertise of teachers to engage students in high-quality learning while simultaneously increasing the expertise of school leaders to guide and support teachers in this improvement process.
Two foundational ideas guide our work at the Center for Educational Leadership. First, we believe that quality teaching matters: if students are not learning, they are not being afforded powerful learning opportunities. Second, quality instructional leadership matters: if teachers do not afford students powerful learning opportunities, this is ultimately an issue for school leaders.
Our nation's redesigned evaluation systems must contribute to and support the formative development of expertise for teachers and instructional leaders. Otherwise the systems will do little to improve the quality of teaching, which will ultimately impact the quality of education for all students.
Examples of CEL's services
- District and school readiness – With leadership planning and readiness assessments, CEL supports the implementation of a redesigned evaluation system in districts and schools.
- Observation support – CEL assists schools and districts in developing and implementing a common language and vision for observing instruction using CEL’s research-based framework, or other instructional framework.
- Growing teaching practice – CEL assists district, school and teacher leaders in developing skills to analyze teaching practice and support teachers in growing their practice through the use of formative and targeted feedback.
- Analysis – CEL helps participants analyze both teacher practice and student learning through guided classroom walkthroughs and videos of classroom instruction.
- Calibration – CEL supports rater reliability across classrooms and schools.
- Leadership coaching – CEL helps leaders understand what good teaching is, how to provide effective feedback to teachers, and how to support the professional learning needs of staff.
Why choose CEL?
- Research-based and field-proven.
- 5D™ instructional framework, 5D+™ Rubric and 5D+™ Inquiry Cycle.
- Comprehensive and customized services that help districts meet their instructional improvement goals.
- Nationally recognized faculty, staff and consultants from the top-ranked University of Washington.
Who should use CEL’s services?
Anyone focused on the improvement of teaching and learning:
- School district leaders.
- Principals and evaluators.
- Instructional coaches and mentors.
- Teachers and teacher leaders.
- Professional development staff.
For an overview of the 5D instructional framework and the 5D+ Rubric, watch an archived webinar, recorded June 14, 2012, Getting Started with CEL's 5D+ Teacher Evaluation Rubric. Note: The webinar features version 2 of the rubric, but the processes for getting started also apply to version 3 of the rubric.
5D+ Readiness Assessment: Getting ready for teacher evaluation
Here are some important questions to consider as you lead your district forward to use teacher evaluation to continually improve teaching and learning.
- Have you established a steering committee that includes central office leaders, principals and teachers?
- Have you determined the specific professional development needs for central office leaders, principals and teachers?
- Does your long- and short-term plan for implementation address the learning needs and human concerns of your staff and stakeholders?
- Are you executing an intentional communication plan for internal and external audiences that explains how instructional improvements will be enhanced by a common instructional framework and aligned evaluation tool?
Download a free copy of the 5D+ Readiness Assessment, a tool for getting started with teacher evaluation.
Get started with teacher evaluation
Contact us for a no-cost consultation on how CEL can support your efforts to plan and implement a growth-oriented teacher evaluation system focused on high-quality learning.